Sunday, May 17, 2009

Sunday - wish you were Friday afternoon.

Seriously - where does the time go. I can't believe that it is already Sunday morning. It seems like I just got off work on Friday afternoon. PS - love Friday afternoons. It's been a very action packed weekend thus far - and it's not over yet. I know that I need to drink the action in and love that life is good - but sometimes I need to take a step out and sit back and just breathe it all in. So... right now, I am sitting out on my deck steps - tf for wireless - one pup is at my feet (I'm trying to teach him to lay in the shade - not sure if that's something that can be taught) and the other is worshipping the sun - basking in it. It's beautiful out - we were up early for a walk, so now that outting is done we can focus on a little gardening and then some errands in the afternoon.

Friday night, had friends over for a what we were calling 'Back from Mexico Party', even though it had been a month (to date) since we've been back. We broke out the Don Julio (Chris was so stoked when we were down there about getting a good bottle of tequila to bring home to share with our friends). We played a little Rockband and ate some snacks. That's always my most favourite part of any of our parties. Figuring out what to make, prepping it and then letting our friends enjoy it. I made chicken wings, cheese quesadillas, guacamole, chips and salsa, veggies and then rhubarb custard pie. 

Rhubarb Custard Pie
This recipe is from my mom. It's one of those dishes that is absolutely so easy to make, and is so delicious. Always a hit. If you have your own rhubarb, try it. This recipe is for one pie, so I always double it to make two.

1 pie crust - I cheat and by the frozens often when I make this
2 cubs of rhubarb - chopped into pieces
1 cup of sugar - I often don't use the full cup
1 8 ounce can of canned milk
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
Sprinkle of cinnamon

Put your rhubarb in your pie crust. In a large bowl mix your egg, sugar, vanilla, milk and add cinnamon and stir until a thin consistency. Pour over top of the rhubarb. Bake in a 425 oven for 15 minutes and then reduce the oven to 350 and bake for another hour. Watch your pie crusts - if they are starting to brown - use a tin foil cut out to cover them to prevent them from burning.

And that's it! Seriously - so easy. I like to serve with whipped cream - but vanilla ice cream is nice too.
This is always rated a 5.

Yesterday morning I had some ladies over to prepare all of the items for the silent auction. We have some great stuff so far. Last night we had one of Chris' son's friends, Vishel, over for dinner. We haven't seen him in years and were a little surprised when he called us out of the blue. But, after our visit, we are so happy that he did. He has turned out to be such an amazing young man. Getting ready to start Medical School in 2010, active in his community, active physically, just an all around good boy. 

Yesterday was also my cousin Marsha's Bday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARSHA!!!! I have goodies for you - that should have been in the mail MONTHS ago. I hope you had a good one.

Bike to work week was good - and I am going to try and commit to biking at least 3 days a week. I don't see why I shouldn't. When the weather is good, it's an amazing ride. The view is spectacular, there is no traffic issues, the fresh air does wonders, and when I arrive at work I feel super energized.

I couldn't help but think of my dad when I was biking. I'm sure that he was looking down on me - and maybe even biking beside me. My dad was an amazing cyclist. He started when he was older - but mastered it quickly. From the first time that we bought him a bike for his birthday - and he said that he was 'going to climb mountains on this bike' and then rode over the garden hose and fell off (hahaha, oh dad) to his race from Pr. Rupert to Terrace to his trip to Stewart and then his big journey - biking from Kitimat to the Queen Charlottes. 

Although I wasn't with him for all of his treks, I feel that I was. I can still remember the way he was always so humble after he accomplished a major trek. He never wanted a bunch of hoopla, but I was always so proud. I was there when he biked from Pr. Rupert to Terrace - I was his pit crew - and I didn't do a very good job - drove a little to far for his first pit stop. My mom and I met him in Stewart when he biked there. I went with him on a road trip in April to the Queen Charlottes to scope out and make his plan when he rode in September. 

I was truly blessed to have a very close relationship with him and enjoyed doing the things that he enjoyed doing. By no means am I continuing on his 'riding legacy' but I feel that when I am biking and I can smell a flower or feel the cool breeze across my face - that I am close to him. That he is there with me - helping me up hills, encouraging me to push a little bit faster and for 'godsakes' change gears. 

I was always so proud of him - I have no regrets - I always told him how great that he was. My only regret is that he is no longer here to experience things with me (us) now. I know that during Bike to Work Week - he would have biked with me. 

Well, that sure has stirred up some tears. 

Sigh.

I am planning on working on my small veggie garden for some of the day. Then run a few errands. Then my mom is taking us out for dinner to Smokin' Bones and then it will be home to prepare for another week. I am working tomorrow even though it's a holiday - it should be a relatively easy day.

I hope that you're all enjoying your day - and that if the sun is shining where you are - that you are out there soaking it in - breathing in the fresh air.

Loves.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Your post made me bawl. I just pictured you smiling on your bike and your dad biking right beside you. How amazing was it that he biked Van. Island. Wow!! It's amazing though how their memory never leaves us. I love being reminded of the little things that make me smile about my dad.